Great location, parking and lay...
This great little house is ideal; it's about 25 mins walk to the centre, and about 30 mins from Leith, so both very accessbile and great walking along Edinburgh streets! (There seemed plenty of buses and trams around if you needed them.) Everything was clean and tidy, all mod cons, including wifi, And the icing on the cake was a parking space! Owners very friendly. Would definitely recommend.
Paola from Cheltenham on 02/09/2014
Comfortable, stylish flat
We stayed in this flat during the Edinburgh fringe festival. The flat is really comfortable with everything you need and nicely furnished and the beds are very comfortable. The estate itself is a bit run down but it is quiet. It is about 20 mins walk from Waverley station and there is also a bus service although we didn't use it as it was so easy to walk in. Would recommend it.
Avan from London on 02/09/2014
This flat is well positioned and well equipped. Good restaurants and bars within walking distance .The beds were very comfortable. Only downsides were a squeaky door and a noisy heating system that woke us up at 6.30am, although we did manage to turn it off eventually.
Louise from Oxford on 02/09/2014
Beautiful central flat
Just spend 2 weeks in this beautiful ground floor flat, close to the Meadows. The flat is decorated beautifully, has everthing you could possibly need and the owners are the mosly lovely people you can meet. We had a fabulous welcome pack which included bubby, smoked salmon, oatcakes & shortbread. We would highly recomend this flat to anyone & hope that we will be able to return there in the future.
Lyn Smith from Grays, Essex on 01/09/2014
Lovely flat, convenient locatio...
The flat is conveniently located in a quiet and very pretty residential neighbourhood, close to a bus stop with easy access to the city centre. The flat itself is extremely pleasant and well appointed. We felt entirely at home there and it greatly contributed to the success of our stay in Edinburgh. This is an address I definitely recommend.
Matt from Paris, France on 01/09/2014
Reasonably central flat.
Booking state good, people very helpful but very Dickensian, dark, dirty and unwelcoming entrance hall with a steel front door that banged shut and could wake the devil. Flat very big but in need of a 'deep clean' throughout. Ironing board supplied but cover torn and dirty and the iron had something burnt on to the bottom. Very noisy neighbours and the glass recycling truck collected at 11.30 pm and 6 am every day! Had a lovely stay in Edinburgh but would not book this flat again.
Rosamund from Hoddesdon on 01/09/2014
Very pleasant stay
We rented this flat for 3 nights to attend the Fringe. The flat itself was spacious, quiet and pleasant, close to shops and Haymarket Station although ideally we would have had a bigger / better bathroom. In respect of access from the airport its almost perfect, a couple of minutes from a bus stop and another 20 or so to the airport. In respect of the town its also fine if you get the bus/tram, and about a 30 minute walk from the Royal Mile. Would definitely consider it again.
Bruce M from Oxford on 01/09/2014
Good central flat
The flat is very convenient in term of location and facility. Very near Edinburgh and yet quietly located in a residential area. There's a Tesco express and a bus stop within short walking distance. We have our own car though. It was a nice little house that we all enjoyed (family of 6) . John was very helpful and thoughtful as well. He even offered to get us some food before our late arrival.Thanks John!
Nor from Plymouth on 29/08/2014
Caution! Multiple warnings!
1) Do not book this flat or any owned by the same landlord, James Stephen Robertson, unless you are 100 % sure of your travel plans. Reason: 3 wks prior to our stay we thought we needed an extra night. We added an 11th night to the 10 we all prepaid for. 11 days prior to our stay we found out that we really did not need that extra night so we tried to cancel it. This was his reply…”You will not be let into the house if you do not pay £235.68 in cash as agreed. I repeat, we had an agreement and you will not be let into the house, i cannot be clearer than that.” His reply to our request was very rude and threatening. There are probably some legal issues involved in his threat to keep us out but since he had the key and it was in another country, we did not want to risk pushing the issue and have no place to stay when we arrived…especially since we already paid 2380 pounds+ the booking deposit already.
2) Problems with the flat: limited and intermittent wifi. TV was intermittent and did not work smoothly. We went one night with neither wifi nor TV. All the bedroom pillows were old and flat and gave no support, beds were poor quality. The dryer did not work and after a wash and dry cycle, the clothes came out sopping wet. The downstairs shower drain was clogged and one had to stop the shower mid way so it wouldn’t over flow. (He did fix this issue) Water leaked from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor.
3) Given one set of old towels for a 10 night stay and a non working dryer, so even when we tried to wash them it took 2 days for the towels to dry.
4) He does not return security deposits. We left the flat in an excellent, clean condition, and emptied the trash before we left. 1 month later, after several emails, and a reply from the landlord stating that he wired the money 2 wks ago, we have still not received it. We have asked for proof of the wire multiple times and he has not provided it.
5) An example of what kind of person he is if the prior points are not enough: After a transatlantic flight, our family arrived at the doorstep 45 minutes before the stated time of the key transfer. My husband, 2 children, myself, and my parents waited outside for the greeter to arrive. When she arrived, the landlord opened the flat door from the inside. To our surprise, he was there the whole time. Then he ignored all of us and just acknowledged my husband. He only acknowledged me when I gave him the additional 235.70 pounds in cash for the 11th night.
6) One minor point I noticed mentioned in another review –the seagulls were terrible at night and and kept us up most nights.
7) The only good points – clean and great location.
8) Despite the bad experience with this landlord, we had a fabulous time in Edinburgh. Too bad he put a damper on our trip before and after.
Drs. Bob and Mae from Virginia on 28/08/2014
Thank you very much for flat in Portobello. It was unforgettable experience. The flat was clean and nice. Wonderful views from window and quiet area made our stay comfortable. Hosts welcomed us with open arms. We felt ourselves homey.
Saule from Estonia on 28/08/2014